Join the Columbia Orchestra
If you play an orchestral instrument and enjoy the challenge of playing the best of the symphonic repertoire with an inspiring conductor, you don't want to miss the opportunity to join the Columbia Orchestra of Howard County, Maryland. The Columbia Orchestra is a volunteer adult community orchestra dedicated to fostering a lifelong appreciation of and participation in classical music. Advanced high school students are welcome. Come join us for an exciting season performing great music! We keep an active substitute list, so don't hesitate to contact us.
Now how do you join? By auditioning for us at the auditions typically held near the end of August. We also have a limited number of audition times during the season, so if you miss our August auditions but are still interested, please contact email@example.com or 410-465-8777, extension 4.
If the thought of preparing an audition frightens you, please remember - we are a friendly group of people who love to play music together, and we want to make joining us a fun experience for you!
Audition Requirements (to last no longer than 15 minutes total)
- Two octave major and minor scales through 3b and 3# (articulated/slurred as you wish)
- Two prepared pieces of contrasting nature (orchestral/concerto excerpts are acceptable)
- Sight-reading at the discretion of the Music Director
Please look around our web site to familiarize yourself with our orchestra. Here are some specific items you may be interested in:
- Rehearsal Schedule
- Rehearsal Locations (we rehearse on Mondays at the Gathering Place and have dress rehearsals at the Rouse Theater)
- Concert Season
Fall 2013 Auditions will be held Sunday, August 11, 2013, 1:00 – 5:00 PM and Monday, August 12, 2013, 7:00 – 10:00 PM at Christ Episcopal Church, 6800 Oakland Mills Road, Columbia, for the following:
- Permanent positions for contrabassoon, section percussion, and all string instruments
- Substitute positions for all woodwinds, brass, and percussion
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-465-8777, extension 4.